What better way to start out a blog than with a big, long, illustrated story? It's about New York City, sorta. See, about 4 years ago I started reading this message board about Alias -- you know, that TV show about the CIA (sorta) starring Jennifer Garner. There were some swell people hanging around there who I became really close with. I met a couple here and there, when I went to LA for a conference and when one of them moved to Denver after she got married. Well, this trip was designed to get more of us together.
So I took a redeye to LaGuardia last Wednesday/Thursday. I planned an extra day to visit family in Connecticut. So my uncle Jerry (alright, great uncle but we don't really need the adjective right?) picked me up at O'dark Thirty. It was not warm outside. Really, really, really not warm.
We cruised around places like Greenwich and Westport, around gigantic fancy homes he'd done cabinetry work in and also Paul Newman and Mary from Peter, Paul, and Mary's houses. It's much more mountainous that I'd realized before. Anyway, we ate breakfast out that morning, had Mexican for dinner, and I got to see all their pictures from Telluride and China and from his motorcycle trip with my grandpa this summer! Hadn't seen any of those yet. He also gave me a little tour of their cute old church -- reminds me of those in Illinois I attended when I was little.
My cousin Kyle wasn't at work at his coffee shop in town, so I missed him, and my aunt was sleeping and relaxing after having surgery the day before I arrived. Not my best timing, but that's alright.
I read an essay she wrote about keeping diaries in a gardening magazine she subscribes too. That was nice because she wrote about my great grandma's diaries as well. Grandma Shike didn't necessarily write about gardening but she kept detailed notes about the weather and what her husband was up to on the farm. He often reviewed the journals to get a sense of what the weather had been like in the same week in past years. We read through her diaries a bit after she passed away a few years ago. It always amused me how concise she was in her reports!
The next morning we had breakfast at one of their usual places and ran a few errands before I took the train into Manhattan.


No comments:
Post a Comment