1.08.2008

Brooklyn and Back

So, I stayed with a friend in Brooklyn for the next couple of nights. We arrived in the neighborhood near Prospect Park and met up with lots of other people and just wandered around for a while, up towards and into the park.

Lots of brownstones, every every everywhere.
Photobucket

This little guy wants to go to the park too!
Photobucket

A monkey in a tree.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Prospect Park:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Grand Army Plaza
Photobucket

Hand Tree..... or something. I think this thing is so cool! It's sign language but it doesn't look like there are 26 hands so it's not the alphabet. No telling what it really is!
Photobucket

We later headed out to a dinner together -- probably 14 people? Something like that. We went to Two Boots and, after that, headed to the Brooklyn Museum of Art for a couple hours. It was huge and we only got to see a couple of floors, but there were some really cool things there that I don't have pictures of!

By this point, we were exhausted. The next morning, Tara, who had also stayed in Brooklyn, and I went to meet everyone for dim sum in Chinatown. Dim Sum is madness. You sit there while workers push carts around full of clams or steamed dumplings or spring rolls or duck feet (we didn't eat that) or pork rolls or sauteed greens or... just all kinds of stuff. They stamp your table's ticket when you order something and go on their way.

Waiting for the train to Chinatown:
Photobucket

Photobucket

View of Manhattan Bridge:
Photobucket

Streets of Chinatown:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Mushrooms:
Photobucket

Window Chickens!!
Photobucket

Parmigiano Reggiano Wheels in Little Italy
Photobucket

We later went up to Union Square and a big, famous, indie bookstore (The Strand), and later to Benny's Burrito's in the West Village. We headed back to Soho and Jeannine, who I stayed with, sorta gave us a walking tour because she'd lived in that area many years back when she first moved to New York.

Didn't take too many photos after that... here's one of Times Square from our table at Bubba Gump Shrimp the next day.
Photobucket

After wandering around Times Square a bit after lunch, after a couple people already left town, I headed back to Brooklyn for a quiet evening. I watched old Betty Boop cartoons with Jeannine's daughter, ate pizza with her family, watched her son shout out letters all throughout Wheel of Fortune, looked at some of their New York photo books and some of the kids's elaborate pop up books, and then called a car to head to the airport!

Hope you like the pics!

1 comment:

Dogeared said...

That tree is scary - I once knew (think I can still remember most of the (UK) sign language alphabet, but American Sign Language (ASL) is different I think.

And aww, the dog's keeping guard and watching all the activity outside! Looks so sweet :D