So, I find these broad themes challenging, probably because they call to mind some perfect postcard image, at least they do for me. So, I think you have to personalize them. Sure, a combine is not going to evoke "childhood" for many people, but I have so many good memories of going with my grandpa into the fields for the day (or really just a part of the day).
My sister and I would take turns driving the tractor or the combine, depending on the season, but my favorite was the combine. When it was really really busy, and Grandpa would have to be out there past dark, we'd pour an iced tea and make him a sandwich or two and take them out to him with Grandma.
I saw about 8 million combines in Kansas this day.


1 comment:
I know exactly what you mean. And I think for a lot of people, looking at a photo symbollising someone else's childhood won't immediately make them think of childhood - but it's such a personal thing, which is why we all include these stories. And then, when you read the story, you do suddenly see the photo in a new light, and picture the scene - I could see you and your sister taking lunch out to your working Granddad. So a great job with the photo!
Post a Comment