6.02.2008

366 Photos #139: Iconic

Theme 113. Oh geez. I'm emotional these days. Posting this seriously brings tears to my eyes, but then I've been crying at the drop of a hat too. If you haven't clued in yet, I freaking LOVE Colorado. And I love you, Shipmast. Please forgive me for leaving you.

The shipmast is actually part of the Millennium Bridge, which links the Platte river area to Lower Downtown Denver, taking you overtop of the railroad tracks near Union Station. An architect once told me that the designers of this bridge decided at the last minute to double the size of everything, including the shipmast, after a somewhat similar bridge that was built in London (of the same name) was found to be impacted negatively by the rhythm of the foot traffic of its pedestrians. In other words, the bridge moved with the movement of people's feet in an uncomfortable and scary way. Haha. They had to close the London bridge and redo some things. Regardless, the Shipmast is iconic to Denver, LoDo and Platte-Highlands residents, me, and pretty much everyone who knows me. ;)

Behold.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Dogeared said...

Yeah, we got a wobbly bridge and people don't generally like their bridges to wobble when they walk on them!

Aww, bless your Colorado love! You can always go and visit it ;-) I'd miss Devon if I moved away.