6.13.2008

366 Photos #147: Ancient

Theme 112. Now we're on campus at Augusta State. This is actually the Augusta Arsenal where the first battle of the Civil War was fought. Well, it's not counted like that because they handed over the keys to the place upon being asked to do so -- before any shots were fired. But it's still cool. Seriously, click on the link and note the double entryways (there's a third on the other side) and the diamond-like formation on the top of the building. Well, it's not a diamond, it's what you see below. But the point is that George flipping Washington oversaw the creation of these buildings that are ON CAMPUS! :)

Obviously, I think it's awesome. I mean, I'm from baby states (one being the, what, 46th state?!), relative to one of the 13 colonies. Georgia, at least the east half including Augusta, was the 4th state. FOURTH! It don't get much older than that in the United States, y'all.

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Dogeared said...

Jumping way up the state list there, from 46th to 4th!