6.28.2009

An Academic Summer + Sunday Six

So, I guess Kerri is the only one still doing Sunday Six but I planned to post today anyway, so I figured I'd make this a S6 post too.

So, what have I been up to this week?

Finished writing and then graded finals on Monday and Tuesday. Entered grades early!

TUESDAY: So now I can relax with a good old Colorado bev. I'm loving the packaging on the newly-legally-available Fat Tire, from New Belgium brewery in Ft Collins, CO.

Photobucket

WEDNESDAY: Even though I told myself on Tuesday that I wasn't going to go to the office for at least a week, I went back up there on Wednesday for a mass cleaning of the office. It was step 1 in a three-ish step process of getting really, really organized before the next year starts. Here is the after picture!

Photobucket

What is an academic to do next? Duh -- plan vacations to Costa Rica.

Photobucket

Kidding. I did have a couple plane tickets to take care of next, though, and there were great fare sales last Wednesday that have been rising ever since. I'm going to Colorado for about a week in mid-July, but those arrangements are all settled, so next is a weekend at the Hilton in Fort Lauderdale with Ryan and Kathryn and Kerri! We're going to see DMB in West Palm Beach one night and just chill out on the beach the rest of the time, probably meet up with Ryan and Kathryn's friends (they used to live there) too. The other trip to plan is a quick 48-hour jaunt to Oklahoma for Labor Day weekend. It'll be the first time I've been with my family on my birthday in..... uh..... 6 years or something? I dunno. Long time though.

THURSDAY: After an academic's summer travel plans are made, what's next? Stopping to smell the flowers might be nice.

Photobucket

FRIDAY: However, if an academic expects to get any work done over the summer, she needs to take care of all other pesky errands, like registering the car and getting new license plates. Check! She also needs a clean working space and if she's worked her hardest throughout the year, her house is in desperate need of a cleaning in order to achieve this. Better run to Target to stock up on cleaning supplies. And also a couple of pairs of cheap shoes because, hey, the students don't remember what you wear each day, but they remember your shoes. At least my shoes.

Photobucket

SATURDAY: Cleaning supplies stocked. Now to give myself a deadline to have the house cleaned, I'll invite guests over for dinner and a swim in the pool. This means stocking up on groceries. Check out these gorgeous little heirloom tomatoes!

Photobucket

SUNDAY: Day of rest, right?!

5 comments:

Kerri said...

Good job on the organization! My office is a mess! I cannot wait until Fort Lauderdale! Finally, those tomatoes look yummy!

MevetS said...

Wait ... beer used to be illegal in GA?

And you still moved there?

You must be really dedicated to getting in the ivory tower.

Allison said...

Haha, no, beer wasn't illegal. This is a beer from Colorado that you couldn't get in alot of states because of their rules about... transportation of beer or something, I'm not really sure.

I wouldn't say I'm really dedicated to getting in the ivory tower, whatever that really means (if anything); I just like my job alot and don't want to lose it or have to look for another one. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Love the shoes! Yay for Labor Day trip! Did I say it wasn't long enough yet? :) Office looks great! Have a great summer!

the Pulleys said...

Look @ you Miss Organization! Geeez...I'm jealous of all you're achieving & all you've set out to accomplish this Summer. Inspiring! : )

Mom's side of the family spends Labor Day wknd. every yr. in Branson. Otherwise, I would completely make a trip to BA that wknd. w/ the kiddos to see you! Boo!