6.27.2009

An Academic Summer - Part I

So, as I'm sure you all know, I'm an academic. Professor, faculty, "educator," sociologist, criminologist... whatever you want to call it, one could argue that I live my life in the cushy comfort of the proverbial ivory tower. One could argue that, but would be mistaken. See, I ain't up in that tower quite yet. I've got work to do, people to impress, and words to shave off my job title before I am allowed up there.

People don't really think of that, though, when they find out what I do. Instead their eyes glaze over and I see their imaginations float off into a fantasy land with mountains and streams and houses made out of candy and sidewalks made out of licorice and, well you get the idea. During this hallucination, they often ask me what I'm going to do, now that I have "the whole summer off." I simply state, "Well, I will be doing all of the other work that I have to do in order to keep my job that they don't really give me much time to do when school is actually in session."

I don't think people believe that though. I think they think we all fly off to Costa Ric and drink margaritas and eat tacos all day. So I figured I'd document some of my days, this summer, to help clarify what an academic summer really looks like. I won't lie. Some of it will be real, real nice. For example, I have already banished all slacks and dress pants to the back of my closet. See ya in August, suckas. It ain't all puppy dogs and ice cream though. Stay tuned. You'll see.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Cool! I've always wondered what professors did during the summer! :lol:

Anonymous said...

So I guess spending a month of your "summer vacation" with your Madre is out of the question?? :)